Monday, July 13, 2009

Tweet Tweet

I finally did it. After hearing about Twitter for a while, last week I registered on Twitter.com. It is a popular social networking site that allows users to send and read status messages, called tweets, which can be up to 140 characters long. Tweets are displayed on the authors profile page and delivered to others who are following them.

After registering I decided to follow some people who are gurus in their respective areas. Surprisingly I acquired few followers too. I was wondering why total strangers would want to follow my updates when I am not a celebrity. On closer look I found that most of them were a kind of junk/spam profiles. Some one was broadcasting that he/she is making lot of money by doing nothing... oh yeah (smirk).

After blocking them, I couldn't help wondering how once something becomes popular, spammers descend on it in hordes.

I will continue experimenting with the service for a while.

No comments: