Tuesday, March 1, 2011

First Performance of Sufi Dances

I had an opportunity to perform with Zia Nath's Sufi Splendour group at this years Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (KGAF). KGAF is a leading Arts festival held every year in the Kala Ghoda precinct of South Mumbai.

Sufi Whirling and sacred dances are a form of meditation. When you perform them in public the audience get a glimpse of meditativeness. Gurdjieff always encouraged his students to give public performances to deepen their practice.

The show was on the 11th of February. I couldn't help noticing the date palindrome, 11/02/2011!

Here are some photos from the show. These were clicked by a fellow student, Aparna.



6 comments:

Fanaah said...

Hi, just chanced upon your blog, I have always been keen on learning the sufi whirling. I did try and get in touch with Zia too - maybe it was wrong timing. Would you know where else I can learn or how I could enroll myself?

Ilango Nadar said...

Zia's beginners workshops are not very frequent. The last one was four months ago. If you have written to her she will mail you when the next workshop is announced. You can also follow her schedule on http://www.sufisplendour.com/.

There is another great teacher, Khadija Radin, who usually visits India towards the end of year. Her last workshop was three months ago. The next workshop might be towards the end of 2012. You can check her schedule on http://www.whirling-dervish.org/index.htm.

Fanaah said...

Thank you so much. I will wait for my time :) May you find your path.

Fanaah said...

I came here to say Thank You. I did my first workshop with Zia.

Ilango Nadar said...

You are welcome Fannah. I hope you continue to practice with Zia. Sheikha Khadija Radin is visiting India in January 2013. Her schedule will be finalized soon. If you send me your email Id, I will send you the details. You can send me a mail from my Blogger profile page.

Fanaah said...

And I did sign up for the Jan workshop, and you did reply to my email because Anupa was busy.
Thank you :)